Monday, April 5, 2010

Anxiety Dragging Me Down

Running has always put me in a peaceful state. It's my church most days. Bad day? Run. Good day? Run. Need to connect with my spiritual side? Run.

As I have progressed into training my runs have become work. Instead of that free feeling I usually get after a mile I feel heavy. I am running through mud and there's a weight on my shoulders. What do I do about this or that problem at work? How do I fit this friend's event in when I am stretched so thin? How do I keep being available emotionally and physically for the people I love? Am I neglecting my daughter, my family, my friends, my job, my grocery shopping? How do I pay for all of this "stuff" that I need to be successful in this race?

Today, I think I figured it out. I just have to let it go. I found my way back. I ran and I chose not to tell myself I HAVE to be at a certain pace. I just RAN. I focused on the air and sunshine. I focused on a realistic idea of what I could get done in a day. I focused on the fact that I still have five months. FIVE! I remembered that I have amazing people in my life who support me (or at least tolerate me) and will help me get this done. I am lucky.

Ironwoman ON...I'm back

No comments:

Post a Comment