Thursday, April 22, 2010

Things that Make Me Move

After watching Glee this week, I might say Madonna in response to this statement, but in this post when I say "move" I don't mean gyrating on stage while wearing a cone bra proudly. That's for Saturday night;)

I am referring to what inspires me to show my appreciation for a healthy body that is physically capable. Every time I want to complain about being tired or sore I remind myself of Erin, my friend with Rheumatoid Arthritis who was diagnosed as a college student in her early 20s. Erin, who once told me she wishes she could run in response to my complaint of sore legs. Erin, who went off her daily shots and medication for two years in hopes of conceiving, carrying and birthing a beautiful, healthy baby. (Elizabeth was born this past January :) I remind myself of Derek, my student with Muscular Dystrophy who, as a freshman in high school, has beat the odds with his current level of mobility. Derek, who is a straight "A" student in honors classes and never complains about all the writing in his homework while I watch him struggle through it and know that, someday soon, he will no longer have this option. I remind myself of Mike. Mike, who after a lifetime of surgeries on both feet and pain, made the gutsy call to amputate his right leg below the knee this past March, so he COULD run. Carpe Diem Mike!

This is how I move. Thinking of those who make me feel like a wuss because, if they were given the chance knowing what they know, they would take it and run with it. They would move. .so I do.

1 comment: